Fellowship of Isis
Fellowship of Isis Central Foundation Center
Homepage Archive


What's New!

Our Blog


Introduction
Manifesto - Ethics
Join FOI



Foundation Center
Circle of Brigid
Castle Events


Letters & Announcements


Bookstore


Online Library
Liturgy & Other Books
Lawrence's Works
The Call of Isis



Goddess Art Gallery


FOI Audio Gallery


Castle Photo Gallery


FOI Founders
Olivia
Lawrence
Pamela



FOI History
Historic Photos


Other Resources
Juno Covella
FOI Prayers
Monthly Oracle



FOI Societies
College of Isis
Spiral of the Adepti
FOI Priesthood
Druid Clan of Dana
Noble Order of Tara
Muses Symposium
Center Guidelines



FOI Centers & Networking


Solitary & New Members



Contact / FAQ

Search this site

About this site

Donate



Fellowship of Isis key
This Fellowship of Isis website has been authorized by the FOI Foundation Center: Clonegal Castle, Enniscorthy, Eire


Photo Gallery
Huntington / Clonegal Castle

      "Clonegal Castle lies on the banks of the River Derry, "Doire", The Grove of the Oak, upstream before it joins the Slaney, "Slainte", River of Healing. Matriarchal Centres were situated between the two rivers on the Crow´s Foot, "The Macha", Crone form of The Goddess Morrigan. Such is the site of Castle Matrix, where dwelt the Wizard Earl of Desmond. The confluence of our two rivers gives the name to our village Clonegal - Cluan i Gabhla, named after Eithne of the Long Fork." (Quote by Olivia Robertson from the DCD Manual.) (See also the Rivers of Enniscorthy section.)

      Clonegal Castle was first built in 1625. The year the castle changed its name from Clonegal to Huntington was approximately 1680, by the current owner at the time, Sir Laurence Esmonde: "The castle was formerly known as Clonogan or Clonegal Castle, but was renamed Huntington Castle after a place called Hunnington in Lincolnshire from which the Esmondes originally came. The name "Huntington" probably was due to a mispronunciation. It was changed back to its old name of Clonegal Castle in the 1970's." (From the "Guide to Clonegal Castle" by Lawrence Durdin-Robertson.)

Note: The Durdin-Robertson family currently living at the Castle reestablished the name of Huntington, however the Fellowship of Isis still refers to it as Clonegal Castle.


Castle Drive
Drive to Castle
Approaching the Castle from Clonegal village
photo © 1994 Ashera




The Lime Tree Avenue
Lime Tree Avenue
Trees planted in 1680, from France
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Approaching the Castle
Approaching the Castle 2
photo © Ashera



Circular Drive
Circular Drive
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Castle Entrance
Castle Entrance
photo © Ashera



Huntington / Clonegal Castle circa 1625
Huntington / Clonegal Castle
East Wing - The Flag of Leinster Flies
(19th cent. - gold harp with 4 strings on green background)




East Wing
East Wing
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



West Wing
West Wing
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Southwest Wing
Southwest Wing
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Southwest
Southwest
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Southwest Wing During Renovation
Southwest Wing During Renovation
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Romantic Tower View
Tower View
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Gate to the Southwest Entrance
Gate to the Southwest Entrance
photo © O. Robertson (cropped/enhanced by this site)



Postcard of the Castle
Castle Postcard






Go to Next Section

Return to Photo Gallery



Copyright Notice: The photos on this website have been generously donated by the Durdin-Robertson family and FOI friends. They are always credited by name when we know who took the photo, otherwise they are noted as "copyright Olivia Robertson". Many have been cropped and digitally enhanced by this website. Please do not reproduce. All copyrights reserved. Thank you.





© Copyright
All Rights Reserved.